SpatiaLite is an open source library intended to extend the SQLite core to support fully fledged Spatial SQL capabilities.
SQLite is intrinsically simple and lightweight:
- a single lightweight library implementing the full SQL engine
- standard SQL implementation: almost complete SQL-92
- no complex client/server architecture
- a whole database simply corresponds to a single monolithic file (no size limits)
- any DB-file can be safely exchanged across different platforms, because the internal architecture is universally portable
- no installation, no configuration
SpatiaLite is smoothly integrated into SQLite to provide a complete and powerful Spatial DBMS (mostly OGC-SFS compliant).
Using SQLite + SpatiaLite you can effectively deploy an alternative open source Spatial DBMS roughly equivalent to PostgreSQL + PostGIS.
SpatiaLite is licensed under the MPL tri-license terms; you are free to choose the best-fit license between: